[7u communication] Proposed modification to OpenJDK 7u rules for OpenJDK 8 backports

Edvard Wendelin edvard.wendelin at oracle.com
Fri Aug 10 06:41:51 PDT 2012

To better improve the quality of the 7u updates and based upon recent
feedback on the jdk7u-dev alias, I'd like to propose a change to rules
on how backports from OpenJDK 8 changesets are approved for OpenJDK 7u
integration.

New Rule: Rule 5, Public Code Review:

When backporting a changeset from OpenJDK 8 to OpenJDK 7u, you SHOULD
ensure you have agreement from the original author and reviewers that
it's suitable for backporting. You SHOULD also cc the original author
and reviewers on the jdk7u-dev at openjdk.java.net mailing list when
requesting approval.

If I hear no objections by Wednesday next week, I'll make the proposed
change to the rules.

Cheers,
Edvard