OpenJDK adoption by Java User Groups

Martijn Verburg martijnverburg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:47:34 PST 2011

Hi all,

I think the experiment was pretty successful the other night and Mike
and I have also figured out some ways to
streamline the process even further for future events (pre-built VMs
with the initial build already executed once
work pretty well if you're running adequate hardware).

We're keeping the VM up-to-date with jtreg and the latest commits and
will be organising a regular monthly
OpenJDK hack night for the LJC to work on low hanging fruit such as
javac warnings.

A few of the more enthusiastic folk will probably keeping submitting
ad-hoc patches, but what would you like us
to work on as a group next time?  There is still ~8500 warnings last
time I checked so we'd probably be quite
happy to run through a similar exercise again.

Once we've found our feet (and made sure we're not making life
difficult for all of you) then we'll spread the
program further to other JUGs.

We're also exploring where we can help out with documentation, but
I'll cover that separately.

Cheers,
Martijn