Getting jdk7 changes into jdk8

Kelly O'Hair kelly.ohair at oracle.com
Tue Jun 7 07:55:08 PDT 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 1:54 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:

> On 07/06/11 00:38, Kelly O'Hair wrote:
>>
>> Some questions have come up with regards to how the jdk7 changes will be pulled into jdk8.
>>
>> Please be careful here, we do NOT want new changesets created in jdk8 for the exact same change
>> that was pushed into jdk7, we want the EXACT same jdk7 changeset in jdk8, not a re-creation.
>> The default behavior for 'hg import' is to re-create a new changeset (unless you use --exact).
>> This might sound like a silly difference, but it is actually very important.
>>
>> If you re-create changesets for the same CR number, your integrator will be in a world of hurt when he/she
>> finds out that they cannot sync with the master jdk8 repos because of the same CR was used in 2 different
>> changesets.
>>
>> The Release Engineering team will likely be doing syncs between jdk7 and jdk8 at jdk7 promotions or
>> maybe nightly, so unless you are in some kind or urgent hurry, please just let RE do this jdk7->jdk8 sync.
>
> And, just to be clear, they will use "--exact" to solve this problem, right?
> Or is there something else they do instead?

They will just 'hg pull' the jdk7 changes into a jdk8 reposet, followed by any necessary merge changesets,
then push the result into the jdk8 master after verifying builds work and some basic testing.

But as I have found out, hotspot is special and will not be done this way, it will be left to the hotspot team.

-kto