[8u40] Request for Approval: 8055186: Backport Nashorn optimistic typing to 8u repository

Attila Szegedi attila.szegedi at oracle.com
Tue Aug 19 13:45:33 UTC 2014

On Aug 19, 2014, at 3:13 PM, Seán Coffey <sean.coffey at oracle.com> wrote:

> Attila,
>
> quite a sizeable change!

Indeed it is. That's a consequence of JEP 196 "Nahorn Optimistic Typing" being worked on in the JDK9 tree for long period of time before it being greenlighted for inclusion in 8u40, as well as of the fact that optimistic typing itself ended up being a fairly big architectural change for Nashorn.

> Pushing the changes under one umbrella ID will mean that nashorn bug fixes in both JDK 8u and 9 will only "appear" to be fixed in JDK 9 only from JBS records. Ideally - I think a backport of the individual changesets is more the normal approach.
>
> Could you use your current changeset and mention all bug IDs fixed in the commit comment (one per line) ? That should improve matters. I'll leave it up to the nashorn team and yourself to decide if your current approach is the best one possible.

Sure; we discussed the approach with the team before I embarked on preparing the changeset – as I mentioned, I also took the opportunity while in Santa Clara for the JVM Language Summit to also ask several long-serving OpenJDK reviewers' advice on how to proceed with this backport. I have collected the IDs (everything in 9 not in 8) – there is 120 of them. (I was assured by Joe Darcy that "our jcheck regex will hold".)

> The tests also contain code that is unsuitable for OpenJDK and some copyrights are missing. Would be good to get these issues fixed up before approval.

We have identified some unnecessary scripts used as auxiliary development tools in the bin directory that are no longer needed, and I have removed them. (They are the ones without copyrights.) Additionally, I have removed non-OpenJDK suitable content from the remaining scripts, the differences to the original changeset can be seen in <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~attila/8055186/webrev.01>

Finally, test/examples/apply_to_call_benchmark.js didn't have a copyright; I fixed that too. That is all we could discover that needed additional fixing.

Thank you,
  Attila.