Proposal for back-porting JFR to OpenJDK8u

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:47:23 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/18 8:34 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
>
> > I think it would be good to have a staging repository for this
> > purpose. For the PowerPC/AIX port we had a "porting" repository where
> > we freely committed changes and fixed bugs (without JBS bug IDs and
> > without the usual review process). After that, when we were confident
> > that the port is in a good shape, we created a staging repository. For
> > pushes into the staging repository, we cut the changes from the
> > "porting" repo into handy pieces, we created JBS issues for them and
> > reviewed them on the corresponding mailing lists (e.g. hostspot-dev,
> > core-libs-dev, etc).
>
> I see some advantages to doing that, but it'd be too much for us to do
> to begin with. Let's concentrate for now on the smaller patches and
> bug fixes that we have to do.
>
> > Repositories have to belong to a project but I don't think it makes
> > sense to create a new project just for the sake of downporting JFR.
>
> Indeed not, no.
>
> > If we want to get started right away
>
> I don't, but we can certainly start thinking about it.
>
> I know that substantial feature backports like JFR are exciting and
> interesting, but that's not the main part of the job. Let's not get
> too distracted by JFR from the practical business of making jdk8u work
> well: we're in this for the long haul.

I totally agree. JFR shouldn't be part of the first community-baked 8u release.

But creating a new forest under jdk8u shouldn't be too complicated.
And once it's there, the people interested in the JFR downport can
start to work collaboratively on the downport without "disturbing" the
main jdk8u work.