[8u] Request for enhancement backport approval for 8059038: Create new launcher for SA tools

Kevin Walls kevin.walls at oracle.com
Wed Dec 12 11:24:06 UTC 2018

Hi!

Yes, jhsdb has a doc page that's new in 9.  In jdk8, jstack, jmap, ...
have man pages, but CLHSDB remained hidden so has never had one.

Yes, I was keen not to backport a variant of the SALauncher that knew
these two tools alone, creating individual launchers for tools has been
the way it was done in 8.

But what to call them?  The SA Tool JStack becomes "jstack" as a
standalone executable.  Although most things have that "j" prefix, the
SA Tools CLHSDB and HSDB have never had it, they've never been known as
jclhsdb or jhsdb, e.g. in jdk8u-dev/hotspot/agent/doc/clhsdb.html they
never had a "J" prefix when they were invoked by a script/.bat.

If we're going with creating new launchers in jdk8u-dev/jdk/make, like
jstack etc, then I would suggest calling them to just "clhsdb" and
"hsdb", that's what I'd expect as a user (and as a historian 8-) ).

Thanks
Kevin