[8u] RFR: 8059038: Create new launcher for SA tools

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 16:18:18 UTC 2018

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 14:10, Severin Gehwolf <sgehwolf at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I get a review of this small 8u enhancement, please? It adds two
> new launchers for the serviceability agent, one CLI version and one GUI
> version:
>
> $ <image>/bin/clhsdb
> $ <image>/bin/hsdb
>
> The enhancement request has been approved here:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2018-December/008257.html
>
> During that discussion it has been suggested to use separate launchers
> for GUI and CLI. So this is the revised two-launcher-approach:
> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sgehwolf/webrevs/JDK-8059038/02/
> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8059038
>
> Note: The initial version of this patch[1] had one launcher "jhsdb"
> with sub-commands "hsdb" and "clhsdb" delegating to the old launcher
> classes.
>
> The patch has two simple tests verifying that the launchers work.
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Severin
>
> [1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sgehwolf/webrevs/JDK-8059038/01/

The patch itself looks ok. But it looks completely different from the
changesets in 9:

https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/jdk/rev/bf17c0a1c746
https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/hotspot/rev/24a8cbde76d8

Can you explain a little what's going on here?

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Web Site: http://fuseyism.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gnu_andrew_java
PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222