[8u] [RFR] Request for Review of Backport of JDK-8179887: Build failure with glibc >= 2.24: error: 'int readdir_r(DIR*, dirent*, dirent**)' is deprecated

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 18:50:22 UTC 2018

On 6 July 2018 at 02:31, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:

snip...

> There's no JFR in the open in 8u, but I would expect this to still cause the
> same problem for Oracle's 8u JDK.

Ok, there's not really much I can do to test this then?

snip...

>>> I'd be inclined to disable the build warning for 8u rather than make code
>>> changes (which will likely still break JFR).
>>

>> This was my first inclination - and it's what we went with for OpenJDK
>> 7 [0] [1] -
>> but it brings its own problems. The way it was disabled at first uses
>> inline
>> pragmas that don't work with older versions of GCC that are used to build
>> 8. Moving the pragma outside the function is problematic because this is
>> an
>> inline header file.
>

> It's never easy is it. :(

Shall I propose this fix instead then?

--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Web Site: http://fuseyism.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gnu_andrew_java
PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222