New lead for the JDK 8 Update Releases Project: Andrew Haley

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 02:49:00 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 08:25, Seán Coffey <sean.coffey at oracle.com> wrote:

> Congratulations on your new role Andrew!
>
> There's still a question around committer rights to the Project's master forest[0]. You can decide how best to manage the Project repositories. When you took over the Lead role in the JDK 7 Updates Project, I believe all Project committers/reviewers received commit rights to the master forest. You can email the OpenJDK ops team regarding any adjustments to be made on that front.
>
> [0] https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8u/jdk8u/
>
> Regards,
> Sean.

With OpenJDK 7, we did work with just the one forest. However, I'd
expect OpenJDK 8u to see a wider
range of contributions over a longer time period than 7, as it is more
widely used than 7 was at the same
point in its lifespan.

With that in mind, I'd suggest retaining both forests and keeping the
master (jdk8u) with a more restricted
set of committers. My own thinking is that changes from 8u-dev should
only be promoted to 8u periodically
and after sufficient testing. During the period surrounding a security
update, I would suggest 8u is frozen,
so there is a known base for the upcoming release.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Web Site: http://fuseyism.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gnu_andrew_java
PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222