RFD: Draft guidelines for working on jdk8u

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:05:32 UTC 2019

Hi Andrew,

I've wrote up a detailed proposal for the jdk11u update process and
posted it on jdk-updates-dev yesterday [1]. In that mail I propose to
have two repositories, jdk11u-dev as "always-open" development
repository and jdk11u as consolidation repository for the upcoming
update release. The main reason for having such a setup is that
everybody can see (and test) all the non-security changes which will
be in the next update release and members of the Vulenrability Group
will even have the possibility to easily create (and test) a version
of the upcoming update release which is very close to if not equal to
the version Red Hat will be working on "in the dark". I think this is
important not only to get a broader test coverage for upcoming update
releases, but also to simplify the process of producing update
releases for other down-stream distributors.

The OpenJDK 8u project already has these two repositories (i.e.
jdk8u/jdk8u and jdk8u/jdk8u-dev) so it would be trivial to implement
my proposal for the 8u updates project. What do you think?

Thank you and best regards,
Volker

[1] https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-updates-dev/2019-February/000411.html