Proposal for back-porting JFR to OpenJDK8u

Andrey Petushkov andrey at azul.com
Wed Feb 20 13:35:57 UTC 2019

Dear Guangyu,

On 20 Feb 2019, at 15:44, guangyu.zhu <guangyu.zhu at aliyun.com<mailto:guangyu.zhu at aliyun.com>> wrote:

Hi Andrey,

I'm just coming back from the Spring Festival holiday and sorry for the late response. I am very happy that Azul has ported jfr to multiple platforms. Are there any further updates to your difference analysis?
Not yet, sorry. Was distracted to do some other stuff
I quickly studied the patch and found some differences:

- Your patch does not support thread sampling, and it looks like some code in jfrThreadSampler.cpp is commented out.
Absolutely. It's great you have implemented that in absence of threadSMR
- Your patch does not support the gc event on g1, Alibaba's patch supports g1 events, which you have already mentioned.
Not exactly. Azul code supports GC events for G1 however we miss some important information, like region types, heap occupancy etc
- Alibaba divides the test into two parts. The test relies on the hotspot whitebox being moved to the hotspot directory, while Azul saves all tests under jdk dircetory and adds the hotspot whitebox to the test library.
Right. I'm not sure what's the best way

I will spend more time comparing these two patches. Anyway, it seems that the jfr patch will enter jdk8u faster than we originally expected.
Well, at least some jdk8u incubator repos ;)

Regards,
Andrey

Thanks,
Guangyu