8u/11u repo access and Jira changes

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 19:06:40 UTC 2019

On 2/26/19 6:54 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> On 2/26/19 7:46 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> We have a group responsible for managing the release branch, and these
>> could be the people with commit access to that tree. But I
>> don't want to restrict that group necessarily to be the maintainers.
>
> I do want it, though.

I am aware of that. However, I disgree, and I explained why, but this
response does not address my reasons.

> We would have lots of committers that come and push changesets to
> update projects.

I don't quite understand this sentence.

> I would very much prefer that machines prohibit us from committing
> (pun intended) mistakes that can be mechanically checked. Regular
> Reviewers and Committers have no business pushing into stable tree,
> and this should be mechanically forbidden. There is no need to
> restrict the push privileges to stable tree to maintainers only, but
> it should be restricted to some subset of users who have the need to
> modify it.

I don't object to that, as long as it's flexible enough to allow us
quickly to authorize people to work on the release tree.

> In other needs, trust people, but also set up processes so that they
> cannot make simple mistakes.

This seems to contradict your earlier statement. blocking access
to only allow maintainers doesn't only prevent mistakes.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer