Backport vmTestbase tests to jdk8u-dev?

Andrew John Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 02:40:32 UTC 2020

On 06/01/2020 22:21, Liu, Xin wrote:
> Hi, Maintainers,
>
> Thank you to review the patches. I put answers inline.
>
> On 12/29/19, 8:01 PM, "Andrew John Hughes" <gnu.andrew at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>     On 29/12/2019 19:35, Liu, Xin wrote:
>     > Hi, Maintainers,
>     >
>     > I put answers inline.
>     >
>     > Please provide the following info for this work:
>     >    1. Prepare patches for all affected repositories. List the repositories
>     >       affected. Send a link to patches which apply to current jdk8u-dev
>     >       HEAD.
>     > we will touch two repos.
>     > a) jdk8u-dev repo:
>     >     1. https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/root/webrev/
>     > b) jdk8u-dev/hotspot
>     >     1. base                         https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/base.patch.tar.gz
>     >     2. updateAPIs             https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/updateAPIs.patch
>     >     3. classFileInstaller    https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/classFileInstaller/webrev/
>     >     4. gclog                        https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/gclog/webrev/
>     >     5. nativeLibraries       https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/nativeLibraries/webrev/
>     >     6. azul_contrib1         https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/azul_contrib.patch
>     >     7. azul_contrib2         https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/azul_contrib2.patch
>     >     8. new_targets           https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xliu/8231089/new_targets/01/webrev/
>     >

>     Where does all this originate from? JDK-8231089 seems to be a freshly
>     created bug rather than an issue resolved in later JDK versions being
>     backported.
>
> I start with these issues.
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8202812?jql=labels%20%3D%20test-opensource
>
> but they are so scattered,  I took a different approach. I did a blob copy of vmTestbase directory from tag jdk-14+14. It's the patch #1.
Please don't do this.

Looking at the hg log output for test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase shows 210
changesets between creation and jdk-14+14. So that's 210 changes
backported in one patch, some of which will not be applicable to 8u and
some of which will be partial, because the patch touches files outside
the vmTestbase tree:

Looking at that log, it seems the initial creation was in JDK-8199643,
not 8199257. I would suggest starting with backporting that patch and
building up from there, rather than trying to bring in a colossal patch
with lots of unrelated changes.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222
https://keybase.io/gnu_andrew