RFR: Hole for alternative plugin implementation

Omair Majid omajid at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 07:18:41 PST 2014

* Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> [2014-01-24 04:40]:
> If we do modules right in JDK 9 then access control will be extended
> to restrict access to sun.applet and other JDK internal classes. So
> I think Mario's suggestion to look an alternatives and whether there
> needs to JDK specific APIs to support browser plugins might be worth
> exploring.

Okay, that certainly sounds better in the long term.

What about OpenJDK8 though? It has no modules and adding APIs at this
point is a no-go, right? Would it be sensible to have a minimal patch
like this in OpenJDK8 while we fix OpenJDK9/modules with a better API?
I would certainly like to make IcedTea-Web work with OpenJDK8 while we
sort out OpenJDK9.

Thanks,
Omair

--
PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681