JEPs proposed to target JDK 9

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 15:06:38 UTC 2014

On 10/23/2014 05:15 PM, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
> For your consideration: The following JEPs have been placed into the
> "Proposed to Target" state by their respective owners after discussion
> and review.
>
>    158: Unified JVM Logging                               http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/158
>    211: Elide Deprecation Warnings on Import Statements   http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/211
>    212: Resolve Lint and Doclint Warnings                 http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/212
>    213: Milling Project Coin                              http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/213
>    214: Remove GC Combinations Deprecated in JDK 8        http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/214
>    216: Process Import Statements Correctly               http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/216
>
> Feedback is more than welcome, as are reasoned objections.  If no such
> objections are raised in one week's time (i.e., by 2014/10/30 23:00 UTC),
> or if they're raised and then satisfactorily answered, then per the JEP
> 2.0 process proposal [1] I'll target these JEPs to JDK 9.

I still object to removing _ (one of only two legal single-symbol
identifiers in Java) as an identifier.  I believe that if a special
identifier is desired, a new, previously unused character should be used
instead, such as #.  This has the advantage of not breaking existing
frameworks (including two of my own), as well as being visually distinct.

I do not believe that referencing existing non-Java languages is a valid
reason for doing this.  Yes it might improve initial recognition ever so
slightly.  But 5 years down the line, if you choose # instead, it will
be just as clear (if not more so) as to what it means (since you won't
have the baggage of other languages' interpretations of that symbol to
confuse matters; as an example, we still see users come into ##java IRC
expecting generics<> to work like C++ templates because they look similar).

The rest of the changes look great - much needed improvements.
--
- DML