Build error with javac Main not being found when building java.transaction module on Mac OS X

Martijn Verburg martijnverburg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:20:13 UTC 2015

Hi Alan,

On 6 February 2015 at 16:06, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:

>  On 06/02/2015 15:42, Martijn Verburg wrote:
>
> Hi Alan,
>
>  Thanks for the quick response!  I've executed:
>
>  rm -rf build
> bash configure
> make clean images
>
>  ==========
>
>  Unfortunately the same error comes up:

>  Cleaned all build artifacts.
> Building OpenJDK for target 'clean images' in configuration
> 'macosx-x86_64-normal-server-release'
> Compiling 5 files for BUILD_GENMODULESLIST
> Compiling 8 files for BUILD_TOOLS_LANGTOOLS
> Compiling 3 files for java.transaction
> Error: Could not find or load main class com.sun.tools.javac.Main
>
>   I wonder if this last message is the clue. For the boot JDK then does
> bin/javac -version work? I would be surprised to get through the configure
> step if the boot JDK isn't set right but worth checking.

According to bash configure my boot JDK is:

* Boot JDK:       java version "1.8.0_31" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
(build 1.8.0_31-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07,
mixed mode)  (at
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_31.jdk/Contents/Home)

Executing:

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_31.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javac
-version

I get

javac 1.8.0_31

Is there a way of printing out the absolute path to the javac it might be
trying to execute?  I wonder if it goes looking elsewhere during the
build...

Cheers,
Martijn