How can modules help to reduce memory footprint?

kant kodali kanth909 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 08:11:53 UTC 2016

How can modules help to reduce memory footprint? If I right a simple
HelloWorld program in Java  the memory footprint is about 83MB and the the
same HelloWorld program in Go is about 5MB. Now, I am not saying this is
any good metric but I am rather trying to understand how modules can really
help.

I understand that JDK 9 itself will be modularized does that mean it will
load only the required system libraries by the application but not all? How
does a programmer know what system libraries are needed and what is not
needed? What does it mean to say you distribute your own runtime?

Thanks,
kant