Looking ahead: proposed Hg forest consolidation for JDK 10

joe darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Tue Oct 11 02:11:43 UTC 2016

Hello,

Looking ahead to JDK 10, a group of JDK engineers have been exploring
consolidating the large number of Hg repositories in an open JDK forest
to a single one with the goal of using the consolidated arrangement for
JDK 10.

This message is being sent to jdk9-dev since a jdk10-dev alias to
discuss JDK 10 doesn't exist yet.

A JEP describing the project has been submitted :

     JDK-8167368: Consolidate JDK 10 OpenJDK repositories to a single
repository

The text of the JEP describes the motivation and current state of the
work in more detail, including proposed changes to the file layout.
Publication of the prototype consolidated repository is planned, but not
done yet. The email below has a list of additional anticipated questions
and answers.

We feel this consolidated arrangement offers some significant structural
advantages for managing the JDK's source code and we are now asking for
feedback on this potential change. In particular, if you feel there is a
show-stopper problem with making this change, please let us know!

I'd like to acknowledge the work of Stefan Sarne, Stuart Marks, and
Ingemar Aberg participating in discussions leading up to the prototype
and I'd like to especially recognize the contributions of Erik Helin for
savvy Hg manipulations and Erik Joelsson for skillful build wrangling in
this project.

Please send initial comments by October 18, 2016.

Cheers,

-Joe

Q: What about the set of forests for JDK 10? Are we going to have
master, dev, client, hotspot, etc. the same set as in 9?
A: That is a separate question from the repository consolidation, but
there will likely be simplifications here too. Discussions on that point
will come later.

Q: I usually just build the code in repo X today. Will I have have to
build the *whole JDK* now?