Looking ahead: proposed Hg forest consolidation for JDK 10

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Tue Oct 18 11:01:11 UTC 2016

Hi Erik - thanks for the comments. I indeed got the hardlink story
backwards - which means the size of a local clone will be relatively
stable in time - good news!

Regarding shaare/bookmarks, that is a good suggestion. I tried bookmarks
extensively, and I found them a bit too finicky to use with a single
repo (as with branches, you need to be very aware in which bookmark you
are on, or mistakes can be very common). Additionally, using just a
single repo creates problem when you want to store 'project' specific
metadata (tempoarry tests, IDE config and the likes).

So, using 'share' seems like a major step forward because it allows you
to 'forget' about branches being there (each folder will be on a
separate branch).

One thing that will remain convoluted (if I'm understanding how
bookmarks work correctly) is for instance when you want to fetch new
changes from the remote repo. In that case, I think you need to:

* go in the main repo forest (the one with the 'main' bookmark)

* do a pull/update

* go in the share you were working with

* do an hg pull 'main'

Is that correct? And, more importantly, could other bookmarks/shares be
left as they are (i.e. not updated) ? I'd like the various shares to be
as independent as possible.

On a separate note, langtools is one of those cases (there are probably
others, like Nashorn) where the repo is currently fairly isolated from
the rest of the JDK - meaning that you can just fetch a langtools repo,
build it and test it in isolation. A similar case could arise if a JDK
developer would like to work, say, only on a reduced set of JDK modules.
While cloning all files is perfectly acceptable disk size-wise I find
the lack of granularity a tad annoying in the general case (and I've
built some tools to overcome that problem).

Maurizio