Looking ahead: proposed Hg forest consolidation for JDK 10

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Wed Oct 19 14:32:03 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-19, Maurizio Cimadamore wrote:

> On 19/10/16 01:22, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
> >

> >On 10/18/2016 06:59 AM, Erik Helin wrote:
> >>>

> >>You mean that you can work on the langtools repository only? Do you only
> >>need a boot JDK? How do you build in those cases? I assumed that
> >>langtools, like all the other repositories, were building from the top
> >>repository?
> >
> >Currently, with the langtools repo, you only need the repo and a
> >reasonably-recent build of JDK.  The langtools repo has its own Ant script
> >to build the langtools modules, which is easy enough since it's all Java
> >code. The Ant script is set up to support IDE integration and debugging:
> >some of us use NetBeans, others use IntelliJ. The --patch-path option is
> >used to override the langtools modules in the JDK image with the new
> >locally built versions.
> >
> >The technique should be reasonably applicable to anyone just working on
> >plain old Java code.
> Pretty much what Jon said - you can work in langtools in isolation, provided
> you have a pointer to a reasonably recent JDK 9 image (the degree of
> freshness of such JDK image depends on how much work is going on - if things
> are stable, 'recent' could well mean 3-4 months old; if things are hot - as
> now - 'recent' typically means a couple of weeks).

And you will be able to work in langtools in isolation (or rather the
langtools modules in isolation). The only difference is that you know
will get the entire source tree, you can't just get the langtools
directory. However, you can still change directory to the module you are
working on and use your ant build files in combination with a reasonably
recent build of JDK. Again, the only difference is the number of files
of the initial clone (or local clone, or share).

Thanks,
Erik