A curiosity: is jdk.pack a morally split package?

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Mon Jun 19 18:16:50 UTC 2017

> On Jun 19, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Simon Spero <sesuncedu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 5. The man pages for pack200 and unpack200 are under jdk.base.
>>
>> Do you mean the nroff/troff files in the jdk repo? They aren't organized
> by module at this time (JEP 201 didn't propose a layout for man pages).
>

> Um, er,  if I'd meant not to be wrong I would have said that. ����‍♂️
> Man pages are odd ducks.  jmod does have a place for man pages, but doesn't
> have any real way to do anything useful with them (there's no obvious
> default right thing to do).
>
> Also, I believe man page moves are due to be integrated today.
> Also, unless I am having a bad JIRA day, I have mentioned *every*  Targeted
> issue  in one single email :-)

The existing nroff/troff man pages are out-of-date and not maintained.

The original intent for JEP 299 was to do a pass over these man pages
and bring them up to date for JDK 9 that man pages would be part of
the modular source and included in JMOD files and included in the
images. Later we decide to defer the man pages clean up effort to
JDK 10 due to the remaining time and resource we had.

See https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8180178 for some details.

Mandy