Questions on the module-file format

Karen Kinnear Karen.Kinnear at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 4 08:12:39 PST 2010

I'm trying to figure out how we can speed up the initial download/
application
start time.

Is it possible to have more than one classes section? If for instance
we wanted to be able to download a subset of classes and start module
those before the download has finished for the rest of the classes?

I realize that there is a goal of "atomic updates" to the library, so
I'm trying to figure out a way to do the incremental additions
while keeping the repository consistent.

Given that individual modules will be added  to the library
incrementally,
there might be a mechanism that allows for "lazy addition" which holds
the partially resolved dependency information, which perhaps can be
lazily resolved in parallel with module loading.

Perhaps additional optimizations such as pre-verification can also be
done incrementally, with metadata that tracks stages of optimization.

Also, is it possible to download and install multiple modules into
the library in parallel with the above incremental approach?

thanks,
Karen