DRAFT: Project Jigsaw: The Big Picture (part 1)

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Wed Dec 21 13:54:33 PST 2011

2011/12/21 11:18 -0800, mark.reinhold at oracle.com:
> 2011/12/21 5:01 -0800, eric at tibco.com:
>> Given the amount of discussion about resolution throughout the entire document
>> (which I'm glad to see), it sure seems like it should be mentioned as one of
>> the design principles.

> I don't think this is worth elevating to the level of a design principle.
> Phase-dependent resolution behavior is nothing new (e.g., Maven does it),
> so it's not a distinguishing feature of the Jigsaw module system.

On further thought, and prompted by a hallway conversation with Alex,
perhaps the essence of what you're getting at is that modules are
relevant to all phases of development rather than just, say, to run
time.  That's definitely a distinguishing aspect of the Jigsaw module
system; I'll work it into the design-principles section in the next
draft.

Thanks,
- Mark