What is a language construct?

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Fri Dec 23 13:26:22 PST 2011

2011/12/23 11:14 -0800, david.lloyd at redhat.com:

> The only reason given to allow multiple modules to share a class loader is for
> the purposes of code which expects JDK classes to have a "null" class loader.

That's not the only reason.  The other is to allow existing API packages
to be split across two or more modules, which is necessary in order to
modularize the platform while maintaining compatibility.

> But I don't see this as a serious hurdle - there are many reasons that code may
> need updating after Java 8 and singling out this one as the one unacceptable
> change seems a bit unrealistic.

There is lots and lots of code out there that assumes platform classes
to have the null class loader.  I'm not willing to break it.

- Mark