Jigsaw development dashboards

Neil Richards neil.richards at ngmr.net
Wed Nov 14 11:40:33 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 07:53 -0800, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
> I've posted two dashboards which we'll use to track our work, one for
> the module system itself [1] and the other for modularization [2].
>
> There are also now some notes on the modularization process [3] and
> on issues with serialization [4].
>
> Thanks to Alan for pulling all this information together.
>
> - Mark
>

> [1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/dashboards/module-system
> [2] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/dashboards/modularization
> [3] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/doc/jdk-modularization-tips
> [4] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jigsaw/doc/serialization-notes

Thanks for the links and the information.

Looking at the 'Description' of the Management 'Area' in the
modularization page [2 above], I see that it says:

        The IDL Mapping specification requires that the CORBA Tie/Stub
        classes (for JMX Remote API) be in javax.management.remote.rmi.

Whilst this is true for CORBA Tie objects, this is not quite correct for
CORBA Stub objects.

For the OMG Java to IDL Language Mapping specification (I'm looking at
v1.4), 2nd paragraph of section 4.4.6, "Locating Stubs and Ties":

        The stub class corresponding to an RMI/IDL interface or
        implementation class may either be in the same package as its
        associated interface or class, or may be further qualified by
        the org.omg.stub package prefix. For example, the stub class for
        an RMI/IDL interface class a.b.Fred would be named either
        a.b._Fred_Stub or org.omg.stub.a.b._Fred_Stub. For an RMI/IDL
        implementation class x.y.Z, the tie class would be named
        x.y._Z_Tie

So, from the specification, stubs for classes in
javax.management.remote.rmi _are allowed_ to be generated and found in
the package org.omg.stub.javax.management.remote.rmi .

(Received wisdom from Deep Time makes me think that this option was
included in the Java to IDL specification specifically to allow stubs
for classes in the Java API to be generated / provided without
themselves polluting the Java API namespace.)

It is, of course, the Stub objects that are shared remotely (by one
means or another) - the location of Tie objects are only of concern to
the ORB providing the remote service (i.e. the server).

I'm not sure if this correction impacts on the argument or options for
modularization in the Management area, but I thought I'd raise it in
case it does.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Neil