Fwd: Jigsaw prototype, take 2

David Bosschaert david.bosschaert at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 08:31:49 PDT 2013

I always thought that JEP 161 was a great start for as much modularization
as the JRE itself needs (which was always the root requirement of Jigsaw).
I know it currently has 3 profiles, but we could always add more going
forward.

As regards to performance. It should definitely improve performance
somewhat since you don't always load the whole rt.jar. I'm not sure I fully
understand the 'transform module content during installation' piece but I
question why you would need an actual module system for this. Could the
Java runtime not do this under the hood as an internal optimization?

I know JEP 161 isn't a 'real' module system, but I question why the JRE
itself would actually need a full blown module system for it's own
purposes. For people building on top of Java SE there are other module
systems already available such as OSGi and JBoss Modules.

Best regards,

David