<i18n dev> [9] RFR: 8061382: Separate CLDR locale data from JRE locale data

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Wed Oct 22 18:29:13 UTC 2014

On 10/20/2014 5:25 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:

>> My motive for the question is the naming because the changes mean we
>> have jdk.localedata and jdk.localedata.cldr, an arrangement that
>> suggests that the CLDR locale data augments the jdk.localedata module.
>> It may be that we need to choose more suitable names for these two
>> modules and this will impact the source layout.
>
> I think we can rename the original jdk.localedata to
> jdk.localedata.jre solely for the legacy JRE locale data, and create
> the new jdk.localedata.cldr. Or re-purpose jdk.localedata to represent
> the legacy JRE locale data, and newly create jdk.cldrlocaledata for
> the CLDR data. Either way they won't suggest the augmentation you refer.

I think either CLDR or the legacy locale data is used but not both. As I
understand, it's specified via the "java.locale.providers" system
property and CLDR is not used by default.   CLDR is common locale data
repository and "localedata" is implied.

One alternative is:
    jdk.cldrdata
    jdk.localedata

I understand from you that the plan is to enable CLDR by default in a
future JDK release.   The other option of the module names could be:
     jdk.locale.legacy
     jdk.locale.cldr

They are providers to the locale SPI and so "jdk.locale" might do.

Mandy