Multiple Versions at Launch-Time

Ali Ebrahimi ali.ebrahimi1781 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:09:20 UTC 2015

Hi,
I think it would be good we able to pass layers configuration tree by some
form via config file to java launcher.
In this way layer tree can be automatically created without need to hard
coded by developer. This config file can be created by build systems or
even by developers.
I sent this idea some days ago to experts mailing list[1].
What do you think?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Nicolai Parlog <nipa at codefx.org> wrote:

>  Hi Alan,
>
> thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> > Assuming it's not "requires public LibA" then I would expect you
> > should be able to create a Configuration.
> I am able to create a java.lang.module.Configuration[1] at runtime
> that uses different layers and class loaders and hence works nicely.
> In this case I don't even have to mangle any module names or
> dependencies - it is straight forward to load different versions of
> the same module.
>
> But this is runtime behavior akin to what containers do, right? It
> would be great if this could be achieved without extra code, just via
> command line, so it is open for any run of the mill Java project
> without extra complexity and dependencies.
>
> > It will fail of course if you attempt to instantiate that
> > configuration with both LibB_v1 and LibB_v2 mapped to the same
> > class loader and maybe that is what you are running into.
> Is there any way to create a more complex configuration via command
> line that uses more than the application class loader for user space
> modules?
>
>  so long ... Nicolai
>

> [1] Someone suggested renaming it to 'LayerConfiguration' - I think
> that's a great idea.

I think that was my idea and hence no feedback from experts in this case!.

[1]
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-observers/2015-October/000204.html
--

Best Regards,