Multiple Versions at Launch-Time

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Thu Oct 22 05:55:14 UTC 2015

 Hi Ali,

I missed that post. That is exactly what I was going for! I just
wanted to get confirmation that there isn't already a way to do this
(or something similar).

 so long ... Nicolai

On 20.10.2015 21:09, Ali Ebrahimi wrote:
> Hi, I think it would be good we able to pass layers configuration
> tree by some form via config file to java launcher. In this way
> layer tree can be automatically created without need to hard coded
> by developer. This config file can be created by build systems or
> even by developers. I sent this idea some days ago to experts
> mailing list[1]. What do you think?
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Nicolai Parlog <nipa at codefx.org>
> wrote:

>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> thanks for taking the time to respond.
>>
>>> Assuming it's not "requires public LibA" then I would expect
>>> you should be able to create a Configuration.
>> I am able to create a java.lang.module.Configuration[1] at
>> runtime that uses different layers and class loaders and hence
>> works nicely. In this case I don't even have to mangle any
>> module names or dependencies - it is straight forward to load
>> different versions of the same module.
>>
>> But this is runtime behavior akin to what containers do, right?
>> It would be great if this could be achieved without extra code,
>> just via command line, so it is open for any run of the mill
>> Java project without extra complexity and dependencies.
>>
>>> It will fail of course if you attempt to instantiate that
>>> configuration with both LibB_v1 and LibB_v2 mapped to the same
>>>  class loader and maybe that is what you are running into.
>> Is there any way to create a more complex configuration via
>> command line that uses more than the application class loader
>> for user space modules?
>>
>> so long ... Nicolai
>>

>> [1] Someone suggested renaming it to 'LayerConfiguration' - I
>> think that's a great idea.
>
> I think that was my idea and hence no feedback from experts in
> this case!.
>
> [1]
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-observers/2015-Octobe
r/000204.html

- --

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx

Diaspora:
    nipa at pod.geraspora.de