Multiple versions of a non-exported dependency

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 19:29:44 UTC 2016

There are two dimensions to the version range issue: build
reproducibility and future-proofing.

In the former category, single versions are generally used for build
because that ensures that the build will not change over time as new
versions of things become available.  In other words, I build version X
of my module on Monday or on Friday and I get the same bits in the end
(more or less).  Depending on a version range means that a newer version
of a thing becoming available to the build environment can potentially
cause a change in the final artifact, so version ranges are clearly not
good for the build phase.

In the latter category, and this is really the primary motivator for
having version ranges in the first place, there is a desire for the
developer to stipulate that a module will work with a range of versions
of another module.  Thus specifying a range of such versions is
desirable.  However this is really a test phase concern: you really only
get an idea of compatibility with some version of a dependency after it
has been tested or after some other process wherein such a compatibility
can be reliably asserted.  Furthermore, the range of compatibility may
be found to have changed over the lifetime of a single version of a
given artifact, such that one may wish to add or remove versions from
the known-to-be-compatible set.  Thus this kind of information cannot
and should not be part and parcel with the artifact itself; rather it
belongs to the repository or distribution which hosts the artifact, and
to which (for example) a CI system may refer.

--
- DML