New proposal for #ReflectiveAccessToNonExportedTypes: Open modules & open packages

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Sun Dec 4 18:59:05 UTC 2016

 Hi!

> Intrusive access to arbitrary packages of arbitrary modules by,
> e.g., serialization frameworks or debugging tools, will still
> require the use of sharp knives such as `--add-exports` or
> `--add-opens` command-line options, the legacy unsupported
> `sun.misc.Unsafe` API and related APIs, or JVM TI.

Would it make sense to add a command line switch to open up an entire
module? I can not say whether the risk of misuse (is anybody going to
use `--add-opens` any more?) is worth the benefits (not necessary to
iterate over some sort of package list, e.g. from serialized types, to
open multiple packages) but I thought I'll throw the idea out there.

 so long ... Nicolai

On 27.10.2016 18:07, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who commented on the weak-modules proposal.
> I've just posted a third proposal for
> #ReflectiveAccessToNonExportedTypes, along with an analysis of the
> proposals presented thus far:
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-experts/2016-October/
000430.html

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-experts/2016-October/00
0431.html

> Further comments most welcome, as usual!
>
> - Mark

- --

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx