Java 9 build 148 causes trouble in Apache Lucene/Solr/Elasticsearch

Uwe Schindler uschindler at apache.org
Sun Dec 11 12:57:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

How about the following:

-          Check that the buffer is direct, if not throw IAE(“not direct buffer”)

-          Check that buffer has attachment==null (this tells you that it’s not a slice/dup), if not throw IAE(“not allowed to free duplicates/slices”)

-          Finally do the standard if (cleaner!=null) cleaner.clean(), but don’t throw any exceptions if cleaner is null (as this is implementation detail)

This allows for empty buffers without cleaner that are still marked as direct. But it disallows all slices or duplicates.

I am fine with Alan’s proposal to restrict to MappedByteBuffer but that’s out of my interest – I am happy to unmap mapped byte buffers. I would also place the method in the legacy sun.misc.Unsafe only, the JDK-internal private one is not accessible to the outside. Of course for consistency it could be in both, but primarily it must be in sun.misc.Unsafe – that’s also what most code is using anyways.

Uwe