--add-opens for entire module

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Thu Dec 29 09:50:52 UTC 2016

 Hi Andrew,

I think this is a great idea but would like to point out that the
syntax proposal is inconsistent. It looks like it would allow a module
to be opened to specific target modules:

    --add-opens some.module=other.module

This is something that the module description does not allow - a
module is either open or not. Maybe you meant this?

    --add-opens <module>(/<package>=<target-module>(,<target-module>)*)+

 so long ... Nicolai

On 28.12.2016 08:30, Andrew Guibert wrote:

> In the currently accepted proposal for
> #ReflectiveAccessToNonExportedTypes [1], it is described that an
> entire module can be opened with the following example:
>
> open module foo.bar { exports com.foo.bar; requires
> hibernate.core; requires hibernate.entitymanager; }
>
> The current syntax for --add-opens option is:
>
> --add-opens <module>/<package>=<target-module>(,<target-module>)*
>
> Namely, the --add-opens option can only be used to open specific
> packages from a module, whilst in a module-info.java it is possible
> to open an entire module with a single directive. Therefore, I
> would like to propose altering the --add-opens option to more
> closely match what is achievable in a module-info file, such as:
>
> --add-opens
> <module>[/<package>]=<target-module>(,<target-module>)*
>
> So if a <package> is not specified, the entire module would be open
> for deep reflection at run time.
>
> Being able to open an entire module with a single JVM option will
> ease the migration of existing java programs to the new modular
> JDK. Specifically, it will allow developers to get our programs up
> and running in "toleration" mode more quickly, and then tackle a
> fine-grained set of open packages on a per-module basis.
>
> [1]
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jpms-spec-experts/2016-October/
000430.html

- --

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx