Feedback on proposal for #ReflectiveAccessToNonExportedTypes

Paul Benedict pbenedict at apache.org
Fri Jul 8 21:42:35 UTC 2016

For those who are still supporters of preventing non-exported types from
being reflected, I think a compromise can still be found, but it's not in
this proposal. Here are two other alternatives I hope the EG will consider:

1) Introduce a new permission type to allow non-exported types to be
reflected. I don't find it acceptable the module gets to dictate what can't
be reflected. I believe this should be controlled and configured externally
-- certainly not the module itself.

2) Allow layers to control if non-exported types can be reflected. Perhaps
the JDK sets its own layers to "false", but Containers and what they deploy
can be separately configured, each. For example, maybe WebLogic won't allow
itself to have its non-exported types reflected, but if each EAR gets its
own layers, I could configure WebLogic to allow me to reflect everything
within the EAR.

PS: I don't see #1 and #2 to be mutually exclusive.

Cheers,
Paul