It's not too late for access control

Neil Bartlett njbartlett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:36:53 UTC 2016

> On 13 Jul 2016, at 23:33, Paul Benedict <pbenedict at apache.org> wrote:
>
> If I may opine on this matter -- and do so respectfully toward all parties
> mentioned -- aside from Tim Ellison responding first, every other message
> is between David and Mark. The discussion thread is a really good read and
> a strong point/counterpoint match. However, there are 9 people on the
> Expert Group [1]. What do the other 6 experts think? Being an observer, I
> can see nothing but public discussion, and so all appearances on this list
> tell me the item was left unresolved. I have no idea where the EG actually
> stands as a whole on David's suggestion.

The EG is not a democracy – they are there to advise and challenge the Spec Lead. So you can interpret the direction of the JSR based on whether EG members (mostly David) have had any success in persuading Mark of their arguments.

I do share your concern about the lack of engagement by the other EG members. Most egregiously: Jason van Zyl, Wayne Beaton and Hans Dockter have posted no messages after their initial hellos, and Bob Lee did not even do that basic courtesy and has posted exactly zero messages to date.

Apparently most of the experts have no opinion on the biggest ever change in the Java platform — unless they all agree with Mark so completely that they feel no need to comment?

> I remember reading these exchanges
> live, and curiously wondering why there are no additional agreements or
> disagreements? My best theory then and now is this: Thanksgiving and
> Christmas happened. It appears the holidays interrupted. Just my 2 cents.

Thanksgiving is only an excuse for the Americans on the list ;-)

Neil