Exporting - the wrong default?

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Jul 28 14:58:43 UTC 2016

On 28 July 2016 at 15:24, Andrew Dinn <adinn at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 28/07/16 14:09, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>> No more packages would be exposed than with the current proposal. No
>> more headache inducing problems would be created.
>
> The need for analgesic relief stems from this default being risky in a
> way that the opposing default is not. Forgetting to export a new package
> cannot compromise the security of the deployment (even though it might
> indeed compromise its functionality). Forgetting to restrict access can
> pass unnoticed whilst granting access to clients wiht larcenous intent.

Sure, I understand the point. I just can't see it being particularly
relevant when most modules need to export everything.

Whereas I can see that forgetting to export a package would be fairly
common and really annoying, as it would require a new release to solve
(given that it would only be when someone tries to use the package
that you get told about the stupid mistake of not exporting it.)

Stephen