Missing sources stepping through Jigsaw code?

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 16:58:33 UTC 2016

n.b. I'm addressing this question to the Jigsaw list a sit appears to
relate to the organization of the code base into modules but I have
copied it to build-dev just in case it simply relates to the build config.

While debugging my Jigsaw ModuleFinder implementation I noticed that the
src.zip file distributed with early access release jigsaw-9ea+126
doesn't include any of the classes in the jdk package hierarchy. This
was really inconvenient when trying to debug what is happening in the
runtime underneath my implementation.

1) Is there a reason for excluding these sources from the zip?

2) More pertinently, is this merely a reflection of Oracle's policy
regarding distribution of sources or is this also the policy adopted for
OpenJDK builds?

I ask the latter question because, as with most normal open source
projects, it would seem to me to be more sensible to ensure that the
sources used to build a release accompany the release where possible.
So, I'd prefer for open code builds to be configured to include the jdk
package sources -- unless, of course, there is a good reason not to
include them.

regards,

Andrew Dinn