Speeding up jmod

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon May 2 07:06:29 UTC 2016

On 01/05/2016 17:02, Chris Hegarty wrote:
> On 1 May 2016, at 14:50, Andrej Golovnin <andrej.golovnin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> If you would like to improve the performance a little bit more,
>> you can make additional changes (see the patch) to JmodTask
>> and maybe Claes can rerun his tests to see if it helps.
> These look good too, even as general clean ups, but it would
> be good to get some numbers on them.

Andrej - aside from the micro benchmarks, the real test is `make jmods`
where the tool runs N times (N = number of modules) to create the
packaged modules. Short lived tools have always been the JDK's Achilles
heel. It may be that we will eventually need a "jmod server", like the
sjavac server in the build today. Alternative it could be wrapped in
another tool that capable of creating several packaged modules. There is
a balance here as we also don't want to over complicated things.