RFR: JDK-8155237 - jlink plugin to order resources should take a class list as input

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Tue May 10 09:48:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

this looks good.

Testing cold[1] startup on my machine I see an improvement ranging from
around 30-40ms on a minimal test to around 60-80ms on a larger app. Warm
startup and footprint measures seem largely unaffected, as would be
expected.

I also did an experiment with allowing secondary ordering in the plugin
so that java.base could be ordered directly after the classlist-ordered
resources but impact got lost in the noise, so it doesn't seem
worthwhile to complicate things further.

Thanks!

/Claes

[1] simulated by calling echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches between runs