RFR: JDK-8155237 - jlink plugin to order resources should take a class list as input

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue May 10 09:59:20 UTC 2016

On 09/05/2016 18:41, Jim Laskey (Oracle) wrote:
> Modifies the jlink sort-plugin to accept a classlist to order files in the jimage.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlaskey/8155237/webrev/index.html

I also see improvements with cold start so I think this is good and we
should update the jlink usage in <top>/make/Images.gmk to specify
--order-resources.

One thing about this is that the argument to the plugin is ambiguous, it
would be better if there were some way to make it clear whether the
value is a file or class names/pattern. I just wonder if the file name
should use @file instead. Related is that value of
order-resources.description should probably be updated to document the
file name approach too.

Style wise then you've mixed old and new I/O which seems unnecessary.
There are a few other cleanups that could be done in this plugin but
maybe for a cleanup round at some point.