module-info.java just causes problems

Rémi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Wed May 11 15:37:50 UTC 2016

Le 11 mai 2016 17:05:07 CEST, Stephane Epardaud <stef at epardaud.fr> a écrit :
>Agreed, and this is the conclusion we came to in Ceylon wrt modules
>too.
>But that's orthogonal to the format of the module descriptor.
>
>I think the Java Modules already have a lot of overriding capabilities
>in the form of command-line flags (-addExports and friends), but
>ultimately an external overrides descriptor to encompass all those
>options will help.

Will this descriptor different from module-info.java in the end ?

Note that i will update ASM soon to be able to read/write a module-info, so at least there will be a way to update a module-info.class without elying on javac.

> Of course, tools could define that and generate the
>options based on it, but then you will end up with different forms for
>different build tools which is less than ideal.

Maven is the dominant player here, if it comes with a tool, every body will use it.

Rémi