Compact profiles broken?

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu May 19 05:49:55 UTC 2016

On 18/05/2016 22:24, Ryan Ernst wrote:
> It appears at least in the latest b118 of jdk9 (I haven't tried any earlier
> yet), compact profiles mappings to modules are broken? Doing an import of,
> for example, javax.crypto.Cipher, which should exist in all 3 compact
> profiles according to java 8 docs [1], fails with java 9.
>
> $ javac -profile compact3 Test.java
> Test.java:2: error: Cipher is not available in profile 'compact3'
>
> Have compact profiles changed in some way I don't understand?

The aggregator modules java.compact1, java.compact2, and java.compact3
provide compatibility when moving from the compact Profiles in Java SE 8
to modules.

There is an open issue [1] to examine how javac handles -profile and map
it to -limitmods.

In the mean-time then this should work:

   java -release 8 -profile compact3 ...

or specify -limitmods, as in: