Compact profiles broken?

Uwe Schindler uschindler at apache.org
Fri May 20 22:22:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

> > FYI, this also explains why we did not see a compile failure about the
> java.xml.bind issue (see previous mails)! This only failed at runtime, because
> with Jigsaw, the java.xml.bind is not exposed by the root modules. But while
> compiling it seems to see all those classes, as its compiled against
> source/target 8 where the module system is ignored. So there is also room
> for improvement! Alan?
> >
> I think that's right as when compiling with -source/-target 8 they you
> are also specifying -bootclasspath (at least I assume you are) and so
> those types should be visible.

No, we don't. But they were still visible to javac. But that’s fixed already in our build (we removed the class reference and we changed the build in Java 9, see below)!

Please note: I changed the Lucene/Solr build to now use "-release" if it detects Java 9 (very easy with Apache Ant). Elasticsearch is still investiagting how to do this with Gradle... :(

Uwe