Issue trying to use CORBA classes from javac

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Mon May 23 14:52:41 UTC 2016

Hi Alan,

On 23/05/16 14:27, Alan Bateman wrote:
> As Sander said, compiling with `-addmods java.corba` will ensure that
> the java.corba module is resolved.

Thanks to you and Sanders for the advice. The relevant packages now appear.

Could you explain how the disabled status of this module is arrived at
in the final build? Is it excluded from the standard visible set by
virtue of being listed in UPGRADEABLE_MODULES? I couldn't find anywhere
else where any different treatment might be applied.

> That said, I'm puzzled as to why -XaddExports makes a difference here,
> also by some of the types mentioned in the compilation messages as they
> aren't types in the JDK java.corba module.

Hmm, perhaps -XaddExports requires a check to see that it does not add
any exports unless the module has also been added.

> It would help if you or Michael could summarize what org.omg.** classes
> are in the environment. We've had problems off-list with another app
> server in this area too. In that case, it was augmenting the CORBA
> version in the JDK with additional classes as part of adding support for
> OMG APIs that the JDK version doesn't support. I don't know if we've got
> something similar here. If so, then bring a packed lunch as it will be a
> long day :-)

Mike is currently checking this -- his tweaking of the maven poms during
testing may actually be responsible for some of the problems you
noticed. So, he is checking that before he can be sure that this
resolves the problems using the SE-provided orb. Essentially, for this
build, where we are using the SE ORB, there should be no other
org.omg.** classes in the env.

However, we do interoperate with 2 other orbs and in those cases we
currently provide the relevant CORBA classes via the classpath using
-Xbootclasspath:p (which I have explained is no longer going to work). I
think that this command line option was adopted merely in order to
pre-empt the SE Corba classes in rt.jar. So, I am hoping that if we omit
-addmod java.corba and add the alternatrive ORB jar to the system
classpath then we will actually be safe. If you have reason to believe
otherwise please let me know. Meanwhile, I'll get back to you if and
when this turns into a packed lunch problem. Thanks for the help.

regards,

Andrew Dinn