RFR: JDK-8155786: Determine modules depending on upgradeable modules directly and indirectly

Ivan Krylov ivankrylov.java at gmail.com
Tue May 24 05:26:28 UTC 2016

On 23/05/2016 16:12, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 23/05/2016 13:27, Ivan Krylov wrote:
>> (perhaps this question belongs to the jigsaw-dev list..)
>> How upgradable modules are defined.
>> JEP-261 uses this term but does not define it AFAICS.
> make/commons/Modules.gmk defines the list of upgradeable modules, look
> for UPGRADEABLE_MODULES. A module is upgradeable can be
> overridden/upgraded by deploying it on the upgrade module path
> (`-upgrademodulepath` to javac or java). If you want to go into more
> details then we should probably move the discussion to jigsaw-dev.
>
> -Alan

I was looking not for the specific list of modules, but rather the
definition of the concept.
As for the list in that Modules.gmk - those 6 modules are the ones that
since build 118 are not visible from unnamed modules.
That is not a coincidence but I do not follow the logic either. Perhaps
it was discussed here earlier - sorry about my ignorance then.

Thanks,
Ivan