Valid characters in a module name

Ess Kay s.2016.kay at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 01:44:36 UTC 2017

Hi Rémi,

> You can update your tool to use an escape character
Sure. However, can you imagine how much work it would be to update a Java
source parser to allow identifiers like package and class names to contain
escaped semi-colons, single quotes or double quotes? My scenario and that
of many others is the same.  It can be done but the result will be ugly.

I repeat my earlier question, are there existing module systems out there
that allow spaces, quotes and semi colons to appear in a module name?

All I ask is that serious thought be given to how much flexibility is
really needed in a module name.  There are signs that there has not yet
been much serious thought.  For example backspace is not allowed but DEL
(0x127) is allowed.

Best Regards,