Valid characters in a module name

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Jan 5 11:59:55 UTC 2017

On 05/01/2017 08:22, Ess Kay wrote:

>> No, that's not how it works at all ... Only container code will be
> creating or referencing such modules
> This may be true for JBoss & JEE modules.
I see "Java EE modules" have been mentioned a few times in this thread.
Aside from the word "module" then I'm not sure that is is relevant to
the discussion because the Java EE notion of modules is about naming or
locating a bundle of EE components. We of course hope that a future
version of Java EE will support modules but I think it's too early to
know if this will involve funky modules names or not.

In any case then my understanding of the thread so far is that the
configuration scripts for this tool don't currently allow class or other
names that have been legal in class files for a long time (12 years?).
If users aren't complaining them maybe keep the status quo with module
names so that the configuration scripts only support modules names that
are allowed in a module-info source file (Java identifiers separated by
'.'). The chances of meeting a module-info.class with funky module names
is low, at least for now. I realize that might not be completely
satisfactory but I assume you will need to provide a way to encode the
names of funky classes anyway some day, the problem is not specific to
module names.