RFR [9] 8168149: Examine the behavior of jmod command-line options - repeating vs last one wins

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Thu Jan 5 20:08:18 UTC 2017

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 5:14 AM, Chris Hegarty <chris.hegarty at oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> I wonder if it would be more helpful if it fails when a non-repeating option is specified more than once for a packaging tool.  Otherwise, the only way to find out if the command-line is correct is to list the content after the JMOD file is created.  OptionSpec::value throws an exception if the option is specified more than once.
>
> Right. I was following the existing longstanding precedent of
> last-one-wins for JDK tool options. If I read your comment
> correctly you are suggesting that packaging tools do not
> follow this, correct?  This will need further discussion, and
> maybe a clarification in JEP 293 "Guidelines for JDK
> Command-Line Tool Options”.

jmod is a new JDK 9 tool that we should consider what’s the right thing to do with the new tool-specific options that specify the location of the content to be packaged such as —-cmds, —-libs, etc.

The discussion would be around `—-module-path` whether JDK tools accepting these options is required to follow the last-one-wins convention (which I have no objection to make them last-one-wins for consistency while I’m not too concern for it to be different for jmod tool).  I agree that JEP 293 should cover this guideline.

Mandy