Compact profile modules

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Jan 17 01:04:43 UTC 2017

Hi Mandy,

On 17/01/2017 7:51 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:
> java.compact$N modules were removed in jdk-9+150 [1][2].
>
> We revisited the need for java.compact$N aggregator.  Compact Profiles
> were useful in SE 8 but are legacy in 9, as intended from the outset. Highlighting them in the standard SE 9 module graph gives them
> unnecessary importance going forward. We want people who care about
> small systems to think about modules, not profiles.

I would assume however that we will clearly document how to go from a
compact profile to using jlink to produce a comparable JRE? At a
minimum, given the compact profiles were defined at the package-level,
we should document which modules are needed to provide the packages
defined for a given compact profile.

> In addition, these aggregator modules are not a complete solution
> since the necessary service providers are still needed to be added
> manually for the Compact Profile builds.

That sounds like it also needs further explanatory documentation.

Thanks,
David