Applications for --limit-modules?

Nicolai Parlog nipa at codefx.org
Sat Jan 28 14:34:24 UTC 2017

 Hi!

I'm experimenting with --limit-modules and am not quite sure what
exactly it is good for. But before I come to that I want to make sure
I got it right, because I had to figure this out by trial and error
(the current output of java -? is not that helpful)

I came to the conclusion that only the modules given to
--limit-modules will be root modules for the resolution process. This
explicitly excludes the initial module so unless it is listed as well
or a transitive dependency of one of the ones that were, the command
will fail right away.

At first I hoped I could use it to exclude duplicate modules from the
module path but that doesn't work. As it stands, the only use case I
could come up with was the exclusion of services. Did I miss another one?

 so long ... Nicolai

--

PGP Key:
    http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCA3BAD2E9CCCD509

Web:
    http://codefx.org
        a blog about software development
    https://www.sitepoint.com/java
        high-quality Java/JVM content
    http://do-foss.de
        Free and Open Source Software for the City of Dortmund

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/nipafx